Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A New Day!

When I went to bed last night, I was so exhausted, both physically and emotionally. I fell onto the bed with all my clothes on. I didn't wake until about 4:30am, fully dressed right down to my shoes! My husband said that he tried to wake me up 4 times and take my shoes off, but I was too tired to even remember that.

When I got up early this morning, I couldn't wait to see Lyra. I got dressed, and wanted to get to the hospital fast. Daddy wanted to take a shower first so I packed my bags and walked down to the hospital so that he could get ready and bring the car down with him after he finished.

I walked into the picu and I immediately saw that the big ventilator was missing and that Lyra was no longer on the breathing tube! During the night Lyra decided that she was not going to stand for having something hard and plastic shoved down her throat so she arched her back while tilting her head back to get the tube out on her own.

Lyra was doing great this morning and meeting all the goals to getting to go back upstairs. We were told that she was probably going to be moving back to the children's hospital around 2pm. This was great news because we were first told that she was going to stay in the picu for a couple of days.

At 11:17 am, the picu nurse called to let us know that Lyra was being moved back to the Barbara Bush Children's Hospital upstairs. We were really excited to hear this because that meant she was recovering well and no longer needed to have the constant monitoring that she was getting in the picu. It also meant that we would be back up in a room that was comfortable for Mommies and Daddies.

We went out to lunch with Brother Isaac, and Sister Mage. Afterwards, we headed back to the hospital to see Lyra again. By the time we got to the hospital, she was up in her room on the children's floor. They had taken out the IV in her arm, and she only had the IV in her foot that was giving her maintenance fluids.

One of the doctors came in to take a look at her and to do some teaching to the residents and told us that we were waiting to see if her stools changed to green in 7-10 days. If they change to green, then the Kasai procedure was a success for now. If they don't change, then Lyra is going to need a liver transplant soon or she will die.

As the day has went on, she has stirred a little more. She is now opening her eyes and getting a little more uncomfortable. When we can tell that she is really uncomfortable, they give her morphine.

 Her hands and feet were cold so we went and bought her a hat and booties. She also seems to relax when we put a warm blanket on her.

Lyra is also really puffy.  Her body holds on to the fluids that she is getting through the IV's and is making her swell.  Her face and legs are swollen and she looks like a baby Buddha.

Right now she's sleeping comfortably. Hopefully we have a peaceful night.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that the surgery went well and that baby Lyra is doing so good. I can't imagine going through what you and the family have,let alone baby Lyra.My prayers are going strong for all of you. I hope the road ahead is an easy one for all.